The local WIC office will give you an appointment to see if you are eligible for WIC. At this visit, your household income and the medical/nutrition status of each applicant will be reviewed.
If you suspect someone is misusing or abusing WIC program benefits, please call Toll-Free 1-855-283-5135.
What is WIC?
WIC is The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and administered through the Virgin Islands Department of Health. It is considered a preventive health program or ‘an adjunct to good health care’, as it promotes health to moms and children through good nutrition, breastfeeding promotion and support, supplemental foods and access to other health and social services.
How does WIC Work?
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Breastfeeding support, since WIC promotes breastfeeding as the optimum way to feed a baby
- Referrals to health and other social services
- Free Healthy Foods
Who is eligible?
The following are eligible:
- Pregnant Women
- Breastfeeding Women
- Women who just had a baby
- Children Under 5 years who live in low to middle income families
What do you need to qualify?
Proof of your income (income (e.g. check stub, SNAP letter, MAP card)
- Proof that you live within the Virgin Islands (e.g. valid VI ID, rent receipt)
- Proof of your identity (e.g. valid picture ID, birth certificate)
- A nutrition or health risk (e.g. underweight, overweight, anemia, poor diet)
See if you qualify
Use the Pre-Screening Tool at http://wic.fns.usda.gov/wps/pages/start.jsf(link is external) to find out if you qualify.
What foods do we offer?
- Low Fat Milk
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Whole Grain Bread
- Fruit Juice
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Fish for Breastfeeding Women
- Baby Food
- Formula* (when moms are unable to breastfeed)
- Other Prescribed Foods
VI WIC is eWIC!
See how to use the
eWIC app here.
How do you contact us?
Charles Harwood Complex (340) 718-1311 x 3750
Frederiksted (340) 778-7799 or (340) 778-7799
Roy L. Schneider Hospital (340) 776-1770 x 5609
East End Tutu Park Mall (340) 775-5922
Morris DeCastro Clinic (340) 693-8186