U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS — The Virgin Islands Department of Human Services has announced that it is implementing additional COVID-19 mitigation procedures in light of positive COVID-19 tests this week. As cases across the Territory continue to rise, DHS remains vigilant in their screening, educating, and monitoring of staff and clients. The Department of Human Services continues to work in close connection with the Department of Health to ensure availability of prompt testing. DHS is also arranging, this week, for professional cleaning and sanitization of impacted facilities.
Changes to Operating Hours
- Effective Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.,the Knud Hansen Complex in St. Thomas will be closed to the public through Friday, August 14, 2020. The Complex will reopen on Monday, August 17, 2020. While the building is not unsafe, DHS is closing the building to ensure staff can maintain social distancing while testing and other enhanced protocols are arranged. All other DHS facilities on St. Thomas and across the Territory remain open and operational.
- Meals on Wheels and Homemaker Services will continue to provide client services in the community while continuing to adhere to all health and safety protocols.
- Drop boxes will also remain open and available for application drop off.
Restricted client access to DHS sites, implemented since March 2020 in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) best practices, will continue. A screening survey and temperature checks already in place at residential facilities, will now be required at ALL DHS facilities across the Territory.
All staff and close contacts of the affected units are being notified to ensure their safety within the parameters of HIPAA guidelines. Additionally, DHS is working to provide support for staff members.
The Department of Human Services requests prayers for all their staff, on the front lines, daily caring for members of the public.
For general information, please visit the Department of Human Services website, www.dhs.gov.vi or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/usvidhs) at US Virgin Islands Department of Human Services.
If you are experiencing any of the coronavirus symptoms listed on the Department of Health website (listed below), self-quarantine and immediately contact the Department of Health:
- o V.I. DOH website: https://doh.vi.gov/
- COVID-19 Hotline: (340) 712-6299 or (340) 776-1519
For more information on Covid19, the new strain of coronavirus, please visit the USVI Department of Health’s website, www.doh.vi.gov/coronavirus or text COVID19USVI to 888777. #COVID19USVI.
The Department of Human Services (VIDHS) exists to provide social services to members in our community with diverse needs. In times of national uncertainty and hardship we act as a safetynet and exist to inspire hope and empower change through non-judgmental, quality delivery of needed services and resources. Please visit the Department of Human Services website, www.dhs.gov.vi for more information.