St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, August 2, 2020 – “Vivir Mi Vida (Live My Life)” by Marc Anthony played as caregivers and staff at the Governor Juan F. Luis Hospital & Medical Center Hospital (“JFL”) cheered and celebrated the discharge of recovered COVID-19 patient, Guillermo Riasco on Saturday, after a challenging 34 day hospitalization at JFL.
The staff at JFL “… brought me back to life, I just feel blessed. God bless them all.” Mr. Riasco’s caregiver team included Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacy, Respiratory Therapists, Medical Assistants, Dietary, Housekeeping and all supporting staff, who passionately cared for him through his challenging COVID battle. Upon discharge, ICU staff gifted him.
During the 34 days Mr. Riasco spent in JFL’s Intensive Care Unit, of which he was intubated for 22 days; he is now reunited with his family.
In addition to providing quality critical care, after learning that Mr. Riasco likes music, the ICU Team went the extra mile and encouraged him through music therapy which included his favorite musical artist Marc Anthony. Upon discharge, ICU staff and the JFL Team gifted him with a Crucian bracelet, a #JFLSuperheroes t-shirt, balloons and homemade cards.
According to Interim CEO Dyma B. Williams, “Today, I and the JFL Team celebrate healing with heart. I thank the JFL Team for providing quality patient care and being the very foundation of the healthcare system that we are working to build for our community.”
The CDC recommends individuals and families follow everyday preventive measures including:
- Wear a mask!
- Social distancing – avoid crowds and crowded spaces, handshaking and hugging, and deliberately stay at least six feet away from other people.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 70 to 95% alcohol.
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Stay home and away from others when you are sick with any respiratory disease symptoms.
JFL continues to actively monitor and respond to all recommendations made by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Virgin Islands Department of Health.
According to Interim Chief Executive Officer Dyma Williams, “JFL remains committed to meeting the healthcare needs of the St. Croix community. We all must continue to work together to flatten the curve”.
For more information on COVID-19, please visit the V.I. Department of Health’s website, doh.vi.gov or text COVID19USVI to 888777.